23 Eylül 2012 Pazar

Back to school breakfast: Steel cut oats pack a punch of nutrition with lots of taste

Steel cut oatmeal makes a deliciously nutritious and frugal breakfast








My boys are grown now, but I remember the days of being excited about going back to school. Shopping for school supplies, back to school clothes and shoes, and finally getting back to structured menu plans.
It has always been important to me to provide my family with as healthy a breakfast as I can, and steel cut oats have been my go to hot breakfast.
Steel cut oats are not expensive, especially if you buy in bulk. I usually pick up 5 pounds at a time for about $1 per pound. Five pounds of steel cut oats used 1 cup at a time is going to last you quite some time for a family of four, even if you eat them every day.1 cup of uncooked oats will make enough for 4 people to have a very hearty breakfast.
I like to add chopped walnuts, almonds or pecans, as well as a tablespoon or two of coconut milk and a drizzle of maple syrup or honey or a teaspoon of derma sugar. I prefer derma sugar because it's unprocessed and the granules are larger and give excellent texture to the hot cereal. I also like to mix a few chocolate chips with a little bit of unsweetened coconut and a little bit of chopped almonds and mix it in. It's almost like an Almond Joy bar in your breakfast cereal. You don't need a lot, a teaspoon of each will work just fine. Hubby likes chopped walnuts, chopped up fresh cranberries mixed with a little sugar and a little bit of coconut milk. The kids always enjoyed a bit of chopped apple, some raisins, a bit of chopped walnuts and a sprinkle of cinnamon sugar and a little half and half in theirs when they were younger.
Steel cut oats can also be called Irish Oatmeal. I hope you'll give steel cut oats a try. I think you'll be quite happy with the taste and texture, especially if you don't care for regular or instant oatmeal's texture.
Don't know how to cook steel cut oats? That's okay, it's not complicated! Here's how I make my steel cut oats.

Till next time, I remain Frugally Yours!
Rachael Monaco
Steel cut oats

Steel cut oats

Steel cut oats are heartier and pack more nutrition in than rolled or instant oatmeal


Steel cut oatmeal with raisins, sugar and milk

Hiç yorum yok:

Yorum Gönder