19 Eylül 2012 Çarşamba

Decorating Above The Kitchen Cabinets

I shared with you on Monday that my dream kitchen would have cabinets built all the way up to the ceiling. I believe that this would help with the endless dusting that occurs when living in a dry dessert. But in my right now house I have cabinets that end a good 18 inches from the ceiling. 

So what to do? I like the idea of showcasing a collection. I am a big believer that it should be something that you might find in a kitchen. So enter in my antique French wire basket collection.

kitchen 109

I purchased my first French wire basket over 12 years ago at the Metz flea market in France.

house 001

I love how the well worn handle was carved with “La Vannerie Metallique” which was probably the name of the company that made the basket.

kitchen 080-001

The basket sits propped up in the corner, visible all the way from the front door.

The strange thing about this photo ~ in real life the angel statue does not appear to have a bad case of the chicken pox. :)

You can also see one of my design secrets.

kitchen 047

When I want to alter the height of something I often use a clear glass votive holder on the tops of cabinets. You can’t see it when looking from ground level. 

house 051

Moving on to the other side of the window is a vintage wire basket propped up with a clear plastic plate holder so that the detail can be seen.  A stone bird and faux Ikea plant round out the vignette.

house 018

Right next to it are three more antique baskets. Two are egg gathering baskets. The third I hung from a nail in the wall.

house 041

Here’s another secret. The tops of my cabinets are not flat. There is about a 2 inch indentation. So occasionally a good book is needed to prop something up to the right height.

house 039

The book is barely visible from the ground view.

kitchen 091

In the center, over the stove, is an old sled I bought at a flea market in Germany. It was well used on snowy hills while we lived there. The wooden shoes came from a flea in Amsterdam. I am not a t shirt or trinket tourist. I like to select things that tell a story. Much like my living room gallery wall.

kitchen 088

Rounding out the collection are three more baskets.

kitchen 089

When decorating the tops of cabinets I climb up and down a step ladder at least 100 times.

First I may try a basket lying down to the left.

house 043

Then I try it leaning to the right.

house 044

It finally feels right to me just standing straight up.

house 045

On the cabinet over the top of the refrigerator are my collection of Longaberger baskets.

This too was a work in progress. I tried all brown books.

house 031

Then added a blue book.

house 034

I also switched out a plant before it felt “right”. It’s a process to be sure.

kitchen 071

So those are my cabinet tops. Now some of you may be thinking “It looks pretty empty.”  It’s true, I am not a big fan of clutter.

kitchen 105

But I also have future plans to tuck in a few seasonal items here and there.

Do you change your kitchen cabinet décor to coincide with the various seasons? 

Laura

Don’t forget to link up your favorite “pinable” images on Friday!

You DO NOT have to specifically write a post. You can simply enter a direct link to an image you have pinned to your Pinterest boards. This is wonderful for those who may not have a blog but DO have a Pinterest site. I provided instructions on how to link a Pinterest image HERE.

camera1-001

Hiç yorum yok:

Yorum Gönder