15 Kasım 2012 Perşembe

The Holiday Wreaths of Colonial Williamsburg

To contact us Click HERE

Last Thanksgiving I arose in the early morning and quietly shut the hotel door behind me while Mr. Décor and Sweet Boy slept on.

I was on a mission ~ to photograph the buildings, workers and famous wreaths of Colonial Williamsburg before the crowds arrived. Indeed the sun was just coming up, my breath frosty in the cold, as I began to walk along the Duke of Gloucester Street.

dc 135

The first wreath I spied had a lovely fir base and was embellished with miniature pineapples (a symbol of welcome) pomegranates, pinecones, apples, scored oranges, wheat stalks, mums and marigolds.

dc 136

Colonial Williamsburg first began decorating for the holidays in 1936. The event is now one of their largest tourist attractions.

dc 076

The landscape staff of Colonial Williamsburg create more than 2,550 wreaths and over three miles of garland. Residents who live in the historic area decorate their homes using only natural material that was readily available in the 18th century. A contest is held every year to determine the most imaginative or most beautifully designed decorations. 

dc 057

Even the pediments of homes and businesses are adorned.

dc 077

The zoom lens was used to capture these arrangements and I so wished that I could see what the base was made out of~ wire? The glossy magnolia leaves provided a base for the fruit, pinecones and seed pod.

dc 078-001

This turkey feather topper was amazing.

dc 092

Lemons were wired on to the greenery as were the other elements.

dc 112

I had never before seen fresh seed pods and was truly fascinated.

dc 093

Pheasant feathers, antlers, cotton bolls, and pepper berries are perfection!

dc 113

Cockscomb, empty cotton bolls, artichokes, apples and… fungus. Yep. But I love it.

dc 139

Here’s a closer look.

dc 141

I wish that there was a scratch and sniff option for photographs.

dc 142

Whole oranges were joined with orange slices.

dc 143

My early morning ramblings led me to the Williamsburg Inn. I’ll take you inside later this week.

dc 146

Each window was embellished.

dc 148

The chairs inside this restaurant were a fabulous bentwood design.

dc 171

A dried fruit wreath graced the door of a very pretty cottage.

dc 172

This wreath captured my attention. Someone please tell me what the purple clusters are.

dc 174

I really adored the burlap rosettes.

dc 175

Yes, I’ll take two.

dc 191

Even the garlands received embellishments. A simple grapevine circle, 5 pinecones, an orange slice and wow~ a beautiful star is created. I’m doing this!

dc 075

Sure, you’ve heard of two wreaths, but on one door? YES!

dc 275

A Williamsburg wreath trifecta!

dc 293

Even the print shop was bedecked.

dc 296

Beautiful boxwood.

dc 313

About this time my boys showed up and I shared my favorites.

dc 055

The flora and fauna finery at the Governors Palace was fabulous.

Instructions on how to create your own Williamsburg inspired wreath can be found HERE.

dc 058

The boys then bid me adieu. They wanted to go see a musket demonstration. I had tried to register online for an early morning tour of the Thomas Everard house but had been unable to do so. Sadly, once we arrived I had been informed at the guest welcome center that the tour was full. I was crushed! The house was FULL of pre revolutionary furniture.

I decided to see if perhaps they would let me join in…

dc 193

… come back on Friday to see if my heartfelt pleas were heard.

Laura

Linking to:

The Charm of Home, Common Ground, StoneGable, Between Naps On The Porch, Today’s Creative Blog, Someday Crafts, SSS,Shabby Nest, Tatertots and Jello, Positively Splendid, The 36th Avenue, Jennifer Rizzo, Craftberry Bush, A Stroll Thru Life

© 2012 Decor To Adore Laura Ingalls Gunn All Rights Reserved

Hiç yorum yok:

Yorum Gönder